The basis of healthy skin begins with removing your makeup correctly; whilst makeup doesn’t damage your skin (or shouldn’t) sleeping with your makeup on, will result in premature aging, dull looking skin and skin prone to breakouts additionally, washing your makeup off with a normal facial cleanser is not enough to get rid of all makeup traces.
Needless to say, a makeup remover is essential for any skincare regimen.
Here is your ultimate guide to makeup removers, which includes a detailed list of various types of removers and my recommendations that I’ve tried and love.
Makeup Remover Uses:
- Removes dirt, clogged pores and all traces of makeup
- Preps skin for cleansing
- Keeps skin supple and balances pH levels
Types Of Makeup Removers:
- Oil – An oil-based makeup remover causes less friction when applied to your face and is best for mature skin types.
- Balm – Hydrating cream like consistency
- Micellar Water – Composed of cleansing oil molecules that cling onto dirt
- Wipes – variants aimed at effectively removing makeup, including eye makeup
- Cloth – Makeup specific removal cloths which consist of fibers that grab onto makeup and dirt, cloths are best suited to extremely sensitive skin, otherwise best used when accompanied with oils, balms, micellar water and squalene types.
- Squalane – An emollient which mimics skins natural oils to effectively clean out pores and makeup debris.
All these types of makeup removers have key ingredients that are functioned to cling to makeup ingredients, dirt and impurities whilst cleaning out pores for effective makeup removal that a facial cleanser or homemade removal methods would not be able to remove.
Popular Homemade Makeup Removers To Avoid:
There are some popular home methods or ingredients you will find listed below to remove makeup, however, these methods are not recommended by dermatologists as they lack the ingredients and essential functionality that makeup removers have, thus leaving behind traces of makeup and debris and will clog pores and further damage skin.
- Coconut oil
- Jojoba oil
- Baby oil
- Bio oil
These oils, when used alone to remove makeup will instead trap makeup into your skin.
My Recommended Makeup Removers:
- The Ordinary Squalane Cleanser: this multipurpose cleanser is an effective makeup remover when applied directly to skin without the use of water R160 – 00
- Dermalogica Precleanse: Oil Busting Emulsifyer R669 – 00
- Bioderma Sensibo H20 Micellar Water: R250 – 00 available at Clicks and DisChem
- Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm: R360 – 00
- Sephora Coconut Water Cleansing Wipes: For Face & Eyes R120 – 00
- The Body Shop Chamomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter: R230 – 00
- Glossier Milky Jelly Cleanser: R270 – 00
- MAC Cleanse Off Oil: R520 – 00
- Makeup Removal Cloths: All polyester makeup cloths work the same
- Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water: R79 – 99 – available at Clicks and DisChem
All the above makeup removers are safe and the best way to remove eye makeup in addition it melts away waterproof makeup.
Additionally, micellar water are safe to use on eyelash extensions.
Pros Of Using Makeup Removers:
- Gentle on the skin: Skin is not over – washed yet makeup is removed
- Pores are effectively cleaned out for better absorption of cleansers
- Healthier skin with continued use of effective makeup removal
Honestly, makeup removers are really a lazy girl’s guide to take off makeup as well as an expert’s way of removing makeup. With various innovative makeup removal products on the market – all you need to do is slap on your choice of makeup remover and the remover emulsifies and does everything for you as opposed to washing your skin excessively and leaving your makeup on – wreaking havoc to your skin’s appearance – so the “I’m too lazy’ to remove my makeup is really no excuse.
If you do not have a makeup remover included in your skin care regimen already, I suggest getting your hands on my beauty hero amongst all makeup removers, which is The Ordinary Squalane Cleanser available from Cult Beauty and you will notice the difference in your skins overall appearance instantly.
Stay updated with the latest in Skincare by signing up to my newsletter here:
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP
PIN THIS POST WITH THE IMAGE BELOW:
Pot Of Gold By Sheena Deepnarain